Thursday 26 April 2007

Lying with Integrity


I believe that Lying is bad in some situations i.e. lying for your own benefit e.g. lying to someone saying you have no money when really you do. However; there are some situations where I think lying is acceptable i.e. lying to save someones life. This kind of lie where you are lying to protect others is acceptable to me as you are not doing it for your benefit but for someone elses. The other time that lying is acceptable is when it is a small white lie i.e. lying about your age saying you are younger than you really are.


I think that every human being has the ability to lie and has lied more than once in their lives. Sometimes I think lying can be acceptable. However; I don't think that always telling the truth is the best cause as in some situations for example lying to your children about your divorce is acceptable as you are protecting the welfare of your children.

1 comment:

Donnie said...

I'm afriad i have to disagree with some of the points you have made reference to in your statement. I think lying is acceptable in most situations both for the benifit of yourself and others, only when someone is getting hurt or been hurt is lying wrong. You example of lying to someone, claiming you have no money when you have, i believe is a perfectly acceptable lie as you may not want to give neither can afford to lend or give away money, I.e. if a begger asks you for money you say no because you don't want to give them your hard earned cash!! Also the comment you made on lying to your children when one is going through the process of divorse i think is unacceptable. I believe that it is better that the child is told openly and made to understand the reasons behind their parents divorce as not doing so could lead the child to be in shock and later blame themselves for their parents seperation.